Thursday, November 26, 2009

It's time to toss the dice

Those few avid fantasy readers who recognize the phrases used in the title of this post and this blog know their feelings, history and significance. For those who haven't I'll attempt to explain their meaning and significance to me. I say "attempt", not because anyone who hasn't read the books necessary to understand them (Wheel of Time series and Faded Sun Trilogy) are inept in understanding, but rather true understanding of these phrases comes from all the thoughts, feelings, culture, and circumstances of the characters in aforementioned books.

I am one of those creative people that get a million ideas, good ones too, but... can't seem to take them anywhere. Back at my parents' house there are a few boxes full of papers with ideas, scenes, and even a few sketches from when i was a kid through high school. Most of the ideas that made it through my last purge before moving out are from high school, and a few from junior high. All these ideas could make good (some even great) books or movies, but... I haven't been able to develop these ideas enough. The few times I sat down to a computer and tried to write I felt so blocked. There were always key things missing, always something that kept me from being able to get farther than barely starting.

So... I had a bit of an epiphany while listening to Brandon Sanderson at the release of The Gathering Storm, the twelfth book in the wheel of time that he took up when the original author, Robert Jordon, died. After I got my book signed, I stayed the rest of the night leaning against a bookshelf and listened to him answer questions. At one point he was asked how many books he wrote before he got published and he answered 12. I realized that he had to start somewhere that every book, every story he wrote, was once just an idea. As I was walking home I thought about a phrase from The Faded Sun: Shon'ai. Of course, it's not actually a word, but in the book it is a crucial concept. Literally, it means: it is cast. However, it is also the name of a cultural game, where knives are thrown at, and caught by each of the players, to a rhythm. There is a lot more to the game, things each player learns for him/herself, but that is the basic idea. This game i think is the best way to describe the true meaning of Shon'ai, for it is so complicated it cannot be given a straight translated definition, but I'll try to illustrate the same emotion with basketball. Think of yourself playing a game of basketball. The other team is closing in on you and you have two choices: pass or shoot. Shon'ai is the very moment the ball leaves your hand, for "it is cast". Another like phrase it "it is done", a sudden "point of no return" from an immediate decision. When a guy meets a girl, he will ask her for her number. Shon'ai. He has thrown himself from the comfortable void of acquaintanceship into the unknown, usually either rejection or acceptance. Either direction forever alters their perceptions of each other. Either way, he is immediately set with a new set of choices, should the best happen and he gains her number and a smile, he now must present himself carefully for to call too soon could seem over eager, but to wait too long will seem insensitive. Shon'ai. Everyday, we are faced with choices and make decisions to cast ourselves before the world, each one with an equal chance of succeeding or failing.

It is with this idea in mind that I write this blog. Here I am, casting myself into this blog for one purpose: to write! I have heard many times that the key to writing is to just start writing, but this is easier said than done, I'm afraid. So, I write about my writing (maybe include a little) in the hope that it will help me as I attempt to develop my ideas because I have noticed that most of my development comes while I am in the very act of explaining my idea(s) to someone.

And so, with this post it is cast: Shon'ai.

No comments:

Post a Comment